The 3-D Principle to Confront Challenges: The Success Story of ATME College of Engineering
About the Institution: ATME College of Engineering (ATMECE) was established in the year 2010 to provide the most modern education with cutting-edge technology to students. The green college campus is spread over 20 acres and close to Mysuru city. The college provides facilities for students to achieve overall growth along with excellent faculty dedicated to equipping students with the necessary knowledge and skills to outshine in the global environment. At ATMECE, one realises that a dream does not become real unless it is well supported by interest, determination, and hard work. Currently, the college is running five All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) approved programmes, out of which four programmes are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA). The college intends to become an autonomous institute to design its own curriculum to meet the needs of the industry.
Major Challenges Faced by the Institution
Experts have presented various reasons attributing to the poor employability of the graduating students ranging from class 12 education, selection procedure of degree colleges, curriculum, quality of teaching not aligned with the students' interest, and the lack of corporate involvement. It was a big challenge for ATMECE to make students' Industry-ready as most of the students in the college were from rural backgrounds. Though these students had challenges in soft skills, were good at problem-solving skills. The other challenges that ATMECE has faced during the establishment and continue to face are:
- The proximity of the college to the city making it difficult for students to commute.
- Setting up infrastructure: both physical amenities and human resources in a competitive ecosystem require intense planning and expertise.
- Dealing with simple routine problems like regular power outages to complex challenges like a pandemic.
The Inspiration Behind Success
Under the visionary leadership of the chairman Mr L Arun Kumar and the efforts of staff members, ATMECE was able to get accreditation by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), making it one of the youngest accredited institutions in Karnataka. Within a short period, the college made a huge impact in the rural area through technical education. ATMECE’s core objective is to create employment opportunities for the rural community and strengthen the society to eradicate poverty to meet the common minimum needs. The college’s strategic planning, policies, best practices, and implementation made it reach its goals in a short period. The infrastructure and learner-friendly academic environment made parents and students choose ATMECE to pursue technical education.
The pandemic was a challenge in many facets, especially for the institution’s operations. ATMECE had taken this situation as an opportunity to implement the online system of learning and instruction using commercially available platforms like Microsoft (MS) Teams and Zoom. It was one of the first institutions to commence online classes during the pandemic for which the college received appreciation from the Vice-Chancellor, VTU, Belagavi.
Three Qualities an Institution Must Have to Achieve Success [3D Principle]
- Discipline: It is one of the most important personality traits in everyone's life. It refers to a set of rules and regulations which are to be followed while undergoing any task or activity. Discipline is a must because education is not complete without it. Discipline creates habits, habits make routines, and routines make who you are. At the college, discipline was developed through hours of training, holding one another accountable.
- Dedication: The primary factor behind a successful person is his/her level of dedication, which signifies the commitment of a person towards achieving objectives. Dedicated people set goals and establish a clear plan or a path to success. “Try and try until you succeed,” the message underlying this quote is that dedication is undoubtedly the key to success. The word dedication is derived from the Latin word “Dedicare”, the meaning of which is “to devote.” Devoting yourself entirely to a particular task will lead to success. In this regard, ATMECE employed stringent policy to practice and execute the assigned tasks to achieve excellence.
- Determination: It is very important because it enables us to persist at the time of difficulties. It makes us march fearlessly ahead with faith until we achieve our goal. With determination, we can overcome any type of obstacle. It motivates you to dream bigger and achieve higher. It makes you believe in yourself and your dreams. ATMECE is determined to achieve its defined goals in a stipulated time.
ATMECE has created an ecosystem where education is just not limited to academics, it extends beyond the classrooms & labs to industry interactions, cultural, social, and sports events for the all-round development of the students.
The views & opinions expressed in this blog do not necessarily represent those of QS-ERA India Private Limited and/or its employees, partners, shareholders, or other stakeholders.